repainting GtkTextView

 Folks, I have the following while loop:

 while( (img_fp = fopen(settings->image_file, "r" )) == NULL)
    {
        g_print("Trying to open : %s on while loop.\n" , settings->image_file);
        log(WARN,"Image order file is locked ? %s\n", settings->image_file);
        sleep(1) ;
        if(++tries > 10) return;
    }

 log(...)
{
 /* get eh date and level and what not ... */
  /* print on the textview ... */
 gtk_text_buffer_insert_with_tags_by_name (buffer, &iter, str, -1,
                                                           color_attr[level] ,
,NULL);
}

 The textview does not repaint until I leave the while loop. i.e.
it "hangs" on the while, once it leaves the while, the 10 messages apper on the
text view.

 How do I force it to print the message on the text view as soo as the message
is available.

 NOTE: YES, this is single thread app.

Thanks,

HArring