Writing Gnome2 applets

I hope I've got the right list for some help here - please refer me to
the correct one if I'm wrong.

I'm mostly pretty new to this gtk and gnome thing, but I learn things
pretty quickly.  I'm trying to write a Gnome2 applet but it all seems
completely different from the way that I read about for Gnome 1 here -
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/applet/index.html.

I've downloaded the source for gnome-applets, but I'm confused as to how
they are loaded. If I type /usr/lib/gnome-applets/geyes_applet2 in a
terminal, it fails to load, but it works fine by right clicking on the
panel so obviously it's not loaded in a "conventional" sense.

Are there any documents available that teach you what you need to know
to build a gnome2 applet?  Or can someone write one if not? ;)  Any help
appreciated here.

Thanks,
James.

--