Width of label text in gnome dialog

Another bothersome newbie question:

Is there a way to increase or prespecify the width allocated to the label
(child) text in a gnome dialog?  Regardless of the number of action
buttons I put into the dialog, the field containing the text from the
label widget is always the same width (i.e., too small).

I can't seem to find how to set it to a larger size, at least with the
method I'm using.  The code I'm using can be seen in

  http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/display_text.c

I'd presume there's something I could set before calling
gtk_box_pack_start, but it's not obvious to these tired eyes and I'm still
on the steep part of the learning curve.

Suggestions, please?

Bryan

* Bryan Brown      <*>              bbrown radix net
* http://www.radix.net/~bbrown