From: Juhana Sadeharju [mailto:kouhia nic funet fi]
Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 6:59 AM
To: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Too many image types

From: Olivier <olivier lx student wau nl>

gdk_pixbuf can load most image types and is part of gtk2

That brings up another problem: GIMP, Imlib and now GTK2
has routines to load image files, but does all of them
require X to be installed before they compile? Or do they
need a running X server? Do they use XImage's rowstriped format?

At least I don't see any reason why an image loading/saving/tiling
library would need to depend on X. Instead, such depency leads to not so
good design: the screen/window pixmap is as large as image. Check
Electric Eyes for the worst case, try 3000x2000 image. Gqview and
Xloadimage drops off the fast shared memory when the image is too large.

So, I would like to have a library which loads images to memory, not to
X pixmaps. Any such exists? If no, could GTK2 designed so that loading
and displaying are separate things? Has GTK2 image tiling/disk caching
system? I checked GIMP code and it has such a system. It supports at
least RGB and RGBA images.

Imlib2 looks great, and its webpage answers to some of my questions: it
requires only X libraries, not a running server. Good enough. It does
not have tiling, though.

Best regards,

Juhana