reading a png picture from memory

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to display a picture from a zipped file into a GTK+(1.2) application. I can already display this picture if it's stored on the hard drive (in png format) using the gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file function, now I can read a zip file containing png pictures, use zlib to inflate the picture file in a buffer in memory but I don't know how to put it into a pixbuf.
Do I need to:
- save the buffer in a temporary file then load it with gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file - use another librairy to transform this png in memory into a "8-bit/sample packed format" as specified in the gdk_pixbuf_new_from_data function manual
or
- can I use something simpler ?

thank to reply to my email as I'm not subscribed to this list.

Stephane Pontier