statusbar update without main_iteration

Hello,

I guess I am missing the point on something here:

I want to update the statusbar message (like "heavy computation
started..." and "computation finished") inside a callback function.

However, if I call gtk_main_iteration() to let the update happen, other
signals get processed, too. Possibly, my callback function get's even
called again. Ok, I can implement some kind of locking, but is all that
really necessary just to update/show a simple message?

Do you now of any better ways to handle this?

TIA,
Marc