RE: GTK on Win32 and Linux

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Torrie [mailto:torriem cs byu edu]
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 5:59 AM
To: Ian Molton
Cc: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: GTK on Win32 and Linux

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 18:49, Ian Molton wrote:
Hi.

Im about to embark on a cross platform, CLOSED source
project (sorry, I
get paid a lot for this ands I dont think it'd be appreciated if the
competition got free perks).

What I need to know, is:

1) Is the Win32 (cygwin?) environment production quality?
If not, can
GTK be used with MSVC?
Well, cygwin's gcc is 2.95 and it can produce binaries that do not
depend on cygwin's dll and are thus native.  So the compiler
is mature,
I believe.  However gtk does work fine with MSVC.

I have been using MSVC 6.0 for almost a year now, not had any problems with
it, the main thing to consider is setting up the environment (which is
probably easier under cygwin).

2) How much of GTK works on win32?
I'll let someone who know answer this.

I have been using GLIB 2.0 with GTK1.3.  I have not yet ported my
application to GTK2 and have found that the stability is fine, the functions
are indifferent and all of what I have used works.  I use most of the
widgets available to GTK1.2/1.3.  The only problem I have had is with the
icon for each window, that is something that does not work the same as the
linux version.  All windows use a GTK provided generic icon.  I think this
has been improved in GTK2 (not sure).

3) Is there any pressing reason I should use GTK2? stability is
PARAMOUNT here. GTK1.2 is 'tried and tested?)
The windows version is actually gtk2.  It started out from the 1.3
sources, which were the betas leading up to gtk2.  I believe you can
still get the 1.3 versions of gtk for windows which are pretty much
compatible with gtk 1.2.  I think the most recent bits are now almost
gtk2 (I think the win32 branch is a little bit behind the
unix branch).

I didn't go with GTK2 (month or so ago) because I was worried about
stability and versatility, this may not be the case now as there are always
new versions coming out and progress (it seems) is quite rapid.

4) Is it legal to link with GTK and keep my code closed source?
Short answer, yes.  Long answer is that the GTK is licensed under the
LGPL, and linking to closed applications is permitted.  You
should read
through the license, though, so you know exactly under what conditions
it may be used.

5) where can I get a toolchain / environment to do win32 dev. work?
You can use either cygwin (www.cygwin.com) or the ming gnu compiler
alone.  The ming compiler actually ships with a program called the
BloodShed C++ IDE (available at www.bloodshed.net).

There are other possibilities you could consider, such as wxWindows
(also LGPL) at www.wxwindows.org, and qt, which you'd have to purchase
from www.trolltech.com.  wxWindows does have a native win32
look, so it
will certainly fit on the win32 desktop better than gtk+. Dunno.

cheers,
Michael

Thanks in advance...