clist vs. homegrown table

Hi,

I need to display a set of equal sized "words", so that a callback may be defined to each letter.
At first I considered a clist, where each cell contains one letter.
But the user must be able to select a range inside one row, which is a bit laboriously to implement (in case of a clist).
Furthermore I need to colorize single cells on a click.

Is it more advisable in terms of speed and memory usage to pack some buttons or labels in rows and columns instead of using the clist?

Thanks,
Andreas

-

--