GTK+ 1.3.0 eats my memory

Hi there,
        my first post. Hope it is OK to discuss Win32 version on this list. I am
having
trouble with GTK+ 1.3.0 on Win32. I create two toplevel windows and when I
change their
focus by clicking, back and forth, each click eats some 4K of memory. Yes, I
realize that
some kind of caching may be going on here, but the memory never gets freed..
also, if I
set a buttons GTK_STATE_PRELIGHT style to something, and then move mouse to
and away
from the button, again the processes memory usage rises.

I've read the FAQ and have googled quite a bit, but have not yet found
anything.

I do it somewhat like this:

        gtk_button_new();

        some_style = gtk_style_new();
        another_style = gtk_style_new();

        gtk_widget_set_style(some_style);

... a button is pressed, and I want to change the style

        gtk_widget_set_style(another_style);

Is this correct? Or just plain evil? If the app is beign left running on
it's own,
it does not hog any mem.

        Jonk