Re: GtkTextView sizing

Gary Benson <gary inauspicious org> writes:

On 21 Mar 2002, Jonathan Blandford wrote:

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

You don't need to write a text editor. I'd copy what GtkTreeView does:
it only pops up a GtkEntry when you click a row to begin editing,
normally it just draws the text itself. Look at the editable treeview
example in gtk-demo to see what I mean.

I'm not 100% happy with this, as it can't handle multi-line text well.
I don't know if that's an issue with Xiao, but I would definitely like
to fix this at some point for GtkCellRendererText.

Yeah, this would be a problem, since I want it to be able to handle
arbitrary amounts of text and I want it to be word wrapped. I'd probably
like to capitalize on the capability to have stuff like italic and bold
text in there too.

PangoLayout is designed to do all of this pretty well.  I think you'll
get the nicest result here with a custom widget, though it may be a bit
more effort -- a GtkEntry really won't cut it.

I guess I need to really get into the guts of how the GtkTextView and the
GtkScrolledView and all the various containers interact with respect to
sizing. It may be that junking the [HV]boxes in XiaoItem and making
XiaoItem be some kind of custom container that better understands what I
want it to do is in order.

Indeed.

-Jonathan

 LocalWords:  PangoLayout