Adding and Destroying sub menus in GTK 1.2

G'Day !

I'm using GLIB modules to extend the functionality of my application.  When
I load the module, I retrieve the API and create a submenu on the menubar.
This seems to work, but I have a bug passing data correctly.  (I can call
the function, but in a test program, the char * I pass is corrupted.)

But the real problem is that I can not destroy the menu when I unload the
module.

Looking thru the API, it seems that the GtkMenuShell widget might do what I
need, but the documentation does not explain it very well (for me at
least).

Can I attach a new MenuShell to an existing menubar ?  If so how do I
create a new MenuShell ?  Do I use Gtk_menu_bar _append( ) to attach the
new shell to the menubar ?  Any example code ?

TIA

cheers,
Jim Parker