piping a apps output to program

hello,

I am trying to figure out how I would open a pipe to a
program so that I can get it's output.  I'm not too
familiar with C or inter-process communications.

I want it when the user clicks a button the program
I'm creating will run another program and capture it's
output into a variable, but I'm not sure How that
would be done.

If this is the wrong list to ask this type of question
can someone please point me to a list that this
question would be for.

thank you, mjaz