Re: WM standards

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 01:16:16PM +0100, Carlos Pereira wrote:
1) gdk_window_set_decorations is not recognized
by GNOME (sawfish) and twm, this on PPC Yellow Dog
2.2, which in turn is based on Red Hat 7.2.
In KDE, gdk_window_set_decorations is recognized,
but only if the window is unmaped (with the inevitable
and annoying flashing effects), for example:

It works form me if you call it before the window is realized.  (This
is different from "shown", in that gtk_widget_hide() doesn't unrealize
the window.  You must call gdk_window_set_decorations() before you show
the window the first time.

Calling gdk_window_set_decorations before showing the
window the first time is not an option, because these windows
should start as any other window. Then if the user wants to
have a full view of the OpenGL image just press Escape.
Pressing Escape again returns to the original size and
position. This is an option, like minimizing a window,
that the user can use at any moment, on a window that
exists already.

The GTK1.2-based "gqview" has a fullscreen mode; you might be able to
find out how to properly fullscreen your window from that source.  I
imagine resizing your window with width = gdk_screen_width() would be
the right path, and that should ignore any task bars you have.

That's right, it works like that in my old Red Hat 5.2,
just using gdk_screen_width(), etc.. I easily get
a full screen image, without ever using gdk_window_set_decorations
the problem happens only with more recent distributions.
New WM keep using decorations even when the size of
the image was explicitly set to screen_width(), screen_height ()

If you're using GNOME they have a URL spawning function.  Otherwise,
depending on BROWSER is platform-specific (even it it existed on Redhat,
it's not on, say, Debian).

Thanks for the suggestion. Anyway I am looking
for something that works with any distribution,
hardware, Linux, *BSD, etc...
so I guess the best workaround is to explicitly
add a note in the installation instructions saying
look, if you want Help->Remote to work, you must
set the BROWSER environment variable yourself,
in case your system doesn't do it already.

The trouble with this is,
before being a programmer I am a user, and as a
user, I really don't like to be forced to set
a bunch of environmnt variables for things to
work.

Carlos