Colours...

Hi.

Two things:

1) Can whoever receives this figure out why my mail is going to a
moderator?

I dont post here much, so I suspect Im receiving the mail from an old
address and my new one isnt registered.

my old address probably has imolton * in it.

my current address is spyro armlinux org

2) Can someone explain the horrible mess that seems to obscure choosing
a simple colour?

I want to modify the (gtk2) scribble example so that I can draw a chart
on the backing pixmap. to do this, I thought I would create my own GC
with its own foreground colour, and simply draw a line.

well, I thought I'd start simple and simply change the colour of the
'foreground' (the rectangle used to clear the pixmap). here is my
attempt, which does not work:

static GdkPixmap *pixmap = NULL;

/* Create a new backing pixmap of the appropriate size */
static gint configure_event( GtkWidget         *widget,
                             GdkEventConfigure *event )
{
  GdkGC *backgroundgc;
        GdkColor colour;
        GdkVisual *visual;
        GdkColormap *colourmap;

  if (pixmap)
    g_object_unref (pixmap);

  pixmap = gdk_pixmap_new (widget->window,
                           widget->allocation.width,
                           widget->allocation.height,
                           -1);

        backgroundgc = gdk_gc_new(pixmap);
        gdk_color_parse("004400", &colour);
        visual = gdk_visual_get_system();
        colourmap = gdk_colormap_new(visual, TRUE);
        gdk_colormap_alloc_color(colourmap, &colour, FALSE, TRUE);
        gdk_gc_set_foreground(backgroundgc, &colour);

  gdk_draw_rectangle (pixmap,
                      /*widget->style->white_gc,*/
                        backgroundgc,
                      TRUE,
                      0, 0,
                      widget->allocation.width,
                      widget->allocation.height);

  return TRUE;

God, I miss GCOL r,g,b on BBC basic V5. colourmaps suck ass, IMO.