Regular fonts --> Italic fonts in widgets

Hi!

I've a GtkLabel widget which displays text, in a default font. I'd like
to change this font (regular font) and display the label's text with an
italic font.

I think I could do this getting the font of the label and modifying the
field which contains a 'r', and putting a 'i' in its position. To do
this, I need the font in char format, not in GdkFont format (I'm working
under gtk+-1.2), and I don't know how to get it.

Somebody could help me?

Regards, Victor