how to set when keys should repeat and when they shouldn't

I am writing a gtk+ 2.0 application and I need to be able to specify
when a keypress/keyrelease event pair should be repeatable and when
not.

In most cases, I don't want key presses to be repeated, like
when navigating between two buttons on a dialog box, but in other
cases I do want key presses to be repeated like when navigating up and
down in a GtkCList (I know, deprecated -- I will update to TreeView or
whatever the 2.0 widget is when I get glade 2.0 on this box).

Is there any way to specify these kinds of attributes either globally
or on a widget class by widget class, or even widget by widget basis?

Thanx,
b.

--
Brian J. Murrell