Re: Changing Tooltips "On The Fly"

jseymour LinxNet com (Jim Seymour) writes:
Putting in a new tooltip with gtk_tooltips_new(), works.  When I do
that, will gtk free() the space occupied by the old tooltip for me?  Or
will I eat memory that way?

GtkTooltips is actually a _group_ of tooltips, not a single
tooltip. You only need one such object per application.

(I spent a year or two creating a GtkTooltips per-widget and wondering
why the object had a weird "s" on the end of it ;-))

If you call gtk_tooltips_set_tip() again it should change the tip for
you. However I think tips pop down when you change them, which is
annoying. I believe there's already a bug report in bugzilla on this,
you may want to get on the "cc" list for it to see when it gets fixed,
or even add a patch to the report if you fix it. If you can't find a
report and I remember correctly about the popdown behavior, it'd be
great to file a new report. http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Havoc