Re: gdk_pixbuf_composite and gdk_pixbuf_render_to_drawable performance

On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 02:32, Hongl Lai wrote:

Perhaps because they use a lower resolution?
None of the DivX movies I have ever seen are bigger than 640x480.

NTSC widescreen DVDs are 720 x 480. VLC on this machine barely breaks a
sweat displaying 720x480 images at 24-30fps -- it uses probably a third
of the CPU that my program does. VLC uses XVideo, but is not doing any
hardware scaling when playing in a window (AFAIK). It has to be able to
get each frame into the video card framebuffer pretty quickly, and
apparently does it without a lot of overhead.

But if anybody knows how to achieve fast animation, please tell.

Fast animation with GDK/GTK/X, in particular.

-M