Re: gdk_pixbuf_composite and gdk_pixbuf_render_to_drawable performance

Michael Rothwell <rothwell holly-springs nc us> writes:
Still, how do video-playback programs achieve such low CPU usage (lower
than this little program) when displaying 24-30 fps 16:9 video? And
quake when doing 80fps? Is it an XVideo thing? If so... how could I use
that with pixbufs? :)

I'm not sure, but I expect part of it is they go straight to the
hardware display format instead of going via a pixbuf. GdkPixbuf is a
tradeoff - it gives you a fixed RGB format instead of the 20 or so
possible X display formats, which makes it much easier to write
pixel-manipulation code, but involves an extra copy of the data which
has to be converted to display format.

Havoc