Re: combo-box vs. gtkoptionmenu

Koos Jan Niesink <koos_jan hotpop com> writes:

I have got a question about the use of combo-boxes and
gtkoptionmenus. What is exactly the use of gtkoptionmenu as
combo-boxes can do the same (as far as I know)? With both one can make
a choice out of a list of options, only a combo-box can do more. And
in my opinion the gui of the combo-boxes is better.

The option menu should always be used, unless the combo box is
editable (i.e. options not found in the list can be typed in).

UI experts seem agreed that combo boxes are a horrible UI:

http://www.mackido.com/Interface/ComboBox.html
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000063.html

Havoc