Re: using terminal

On 04 Dec 2002 12:00:15 +0000
Rui Homem <m3moh gmx net> wrote:

hi, my name is Rui and i'm new to this list, so hi to all members.
well and don't really know if this is the list indicated for me, so if
some one knows a better place for me to seek help please tell me,
thanks!
I'm a student and i'm trying to learn programming with c and gtk.
Currently i'm trying to write a front-end to goctave, i have tried to
use Goctave but i got many trouble compiling and i found it was not what
i was looking for. So i thought i could try to write mi own app and
learn more about linux programming.

My question is:
i need a terminal widget, i tried to use zvtterm but i got to many
trouble for me to solve, so i search for another solution and i found
vte. Can some one tell me how to work with vte (may be sending me some
code for me to study it), is there a better solution, where should i
look for information.

I failed with zvtterm too, choosing vte instead seems to be a wise thing
to do (zvtterm is deprecated anyway). Download vte:

 ftp://ftp.unina.it/pub/linux/GNOME/sources/vte/0.10/vte-0.10.1.tar.bz2
untar and install it - I like installing those things to usr, using the
configure-option:
./configure --prefix=/usr

I haven't got very far with using it, the only snippet of code I've got is
just a primitive creation of the widget and forking of the shell (don't
forget to #include <vte/vte.h>):

 ZvtTerminal *term;

        box=gtk_vbox_new(FALSE, 3);
        term=vte_terminal_new();
        vte_terminal_fork_command(term,
                                NULL, NULL,
                                NULL, NULL,
                                FALSE,
                                TRUE,
                                TRUE);
        gtk_box_pack_start(GTK_BOX (box), term, TRUE, TRUE, 10);
        gtk_widget_show(term);
        gtk_widget_show(box);

...and then you can put the box in a toplevel window, remember to pass gcc
-L/usr/lib -lvte, compile the thing, and hope it works. It does here, but
it looks quite hideous - I'll have to find out how to change the colours
and fonts (that is understand GdkColor and PangoFontDescription, which are
a bit confusing).

I wasn't able to find anything like a tutorial for vte, but the header is
nicely commented, and you can use that instead.

The second question is:
where can i find information about creating all that scripts and config
files that come with the software i download. i know this is a dummy
question but i cant figure out how to build config files and make files.
Where can i find the rules for releasing gnome and gtk software if there
are any?

Look at www.gnu.org - you'll find there rather good tutorials on make,
automake, autoconf...

Many thanks, and sorry for my bad English and dummy questions, hope that
someone have the patient to help me!

It's "patience" :-) No problem, if there were no "dummy" questions, I'd
have no questions that I'm able to answer. And don't worry about the
english, it's fine.

--
Cheers
Horror Vacui