GTK+2.0 keyboard nav weirdness

I know that CList is deprecated, but i'm porting an app to GTK+2.0 that
uses them so much that it will be a slow process to change them all to
tree views.

After changing to GTK+2.0, i've found that when I browse a clist using a
keyboard, the current selection follows the focus, just like it would if I
were in browse mode.  Even if I select something with the space bar, it
becomes unselected when I move the cursor and the item under the cursor
becomes selected instead.  I know it's not in browse mode, however,
because I can select multiple things at a time with the mouse.  Any
guesses as to what could be the matter?

thanks