Pb. w/gnome_dialog_run_and_close

I've used the sample code at

  http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/libgnomeui/gnomedialog.html

to implement a simple text display window in an application on my Linux
box using the gnome/gtk packages that came with RedHat 7.1.  The problem
is, the text I've passed in the dialog widget to
gnome_dialog_run_and_close isn't being displayed in the resulting dialog
box.  The box title and buttons show up just fine, but the text to be
displayed doesn't and the box is just big enough to display the buttons.
I've used gtk_label_get to confirm that the text is indeed in the widget.

I had the same problem with gnome_less_show_file and (separately)
gnome_less_show_filestream: the buttons show up, but the text from the
file doesn't.  Debug statements confirm that the file has indeed been
opened.  I'm using the sample code shown at

  http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/libgnomeui/gnomeless.html

Is there something missing in those sample code fragments?  I've put my
code at

  http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/temp/gnome_code.txt

for you experts to examine and, hopefully, tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Bryan

* Bryan Brown      <*>              bbrown radix net
* http://www.radix.net/~bbrown