console applications in textbuffer

Hi!

I'm pretty new the GTK, but couldn't find anything addressing this in the
docs or the archives.  I would like to run a console application in a
TextView/TextBuffer (or the like) in my GTK2 app.  One way I could do this
is:

  - display initial stuff in window
    - get user input*
    - send input to app
    - set cursor to end and display results
    - repeat

*get user input could be done by either tracking key strokes and
memorizing them (doing smart stuff with arrows, etc.) or: note cursor pos
before getting input, wait for enter, get text btw prev cursor pos and new
cursor pos.

Is there a better, less ad-hoc way to do this?

Thanks!

 - Hal

--
Hal Daume III

 "Computer science is no more about computers    | hdaume isi edu
  than astronomy is about telescopes." -Dijkstra | www.isi.edu/~hdaume