Window/menu positions

I want to make a menu (of people let's say) which pops up to allow
you to select a name at the appropriate stage. I also want it to
appear in a particular part of the top level window. There seems to
be a function to set the position of the menu (though it's not
entirely clear what the units of x and y are - pixels?) but I can't
find anything to get the x, y, w & h of the top level window.

Supplementary question: having popped the menu up I'd like to be able
to select an item by typing enough charcters to get to it, like
ncurses menus. There could be a couple of hundred items and frigging
about with the mouse would on each entry would take forever. Can you
point me at any useful functions?

--
Dick Georgeson