Toolbar style

I have an application that I created using Glade with Gnome
widgets. My main window is a Gnome Application window. The
GnomeApp window (by default) contains a GnomeDockItem container
with a GtkToolbar, as such:

GnomeApp
  GnomeDock
    GnomeDockItem
      GtkToolbar

In my GtkToolbar, I have buttons which contain both icons and
text. I have added an option to allow the user to switch to a
text only toolbar. This is done in my callback function by
invoking the following GTK function, where "widget" is the
GtkToolbar:

  gtk_toolbar_set_style(widget, GTK_TOOLBAR_TEXT);

This switches the toolbar to text only, but the problem is
that it doesn't compress the height of the toolbar to match
the shorter button size without the icons. However, if I move
things around manually in the GUI, it will resize the toolbar
automatically.

Is there some way I can force the toolbar to be resized
automatically when I set the toolbar style to GTK_TOOLBAR_TEXT?
I've tried a bunch of things, but haven't figured it out.

Thanks for any help.

--
Dean Schumacher                 Email: dean schumacher alcatel com
Software Engineering Tools      Phone: 972.519.3252