Filtering in a GtkFileSelection

Hi
I hope some has a solution because I am cannot figure it out.
I am using a GtkFileSelection object and I am filtering the file_list on
a given text string using the gtk_file_selection_complete method. This
works fine until you change to a new directory in the history_pulldown.
It seems to me, although I am probably a little off base, that the
gtk_file_selection_history_callback is giving an empty string to the
gtk_file_selection_populate method which in turn inserts this into the
text widget in the gtkfileselect.c file whenever the history_list is
updated thereby eliminating the filtering.

How can I maintain the filtering while changing directories using the
history_pulldown?
Thanks
George