GTK +sharedlibs on MacOSX

Hi,

I know I am little off-topic now, but is anybody doing some
development on MacOS 10.1 ?
I experimented a little and was able to compile and install glib 1.2.10
(with some tweaking) and gtk 1.2.10 just fine.
It just seems that no dynamic linking is supported right now. All
libs are just .a and .la files.  *.so does not exist on osX, its called
*.dylib there, I seems.
Ok, its fine to have my GTK apps linked statically, but then I tried
to enable some GTK-theme..(gtk-engines-0.12) and it also produced just
static libs. And therefore I cant use themes, because GTK wants to
dynamically link the needed theme-engine (e.g. pixmap) at runtime..and it
fails.

Anybody got some hints? Or perhaps a pointer to more appropriate
source of information?

(I installed rootless X11 on my mac FYI..not talking about native aquaGTK
here 8)

Lots of thanks,

Thomas

--