g_string_x thread safety?

I'm using gnome-vfs, which uses pthreads, to fetch data from various places, and call a callback in my gtk
program to update a display. It keeps crashing in the g_string* functions (append, truncate) if there is more
than one thread. I assume I should use the glib threading stuff to protect my callback, based on the behavior
I'm seeing. But I wanted to bounce it off the list to see if anyone else had any thoughts on this (i.e., bug
or feature)?

-M