how to install gtk1.3.2 ?

Hi, all!
      I have a linux OS with the 2.2.16 kernel.the gtk version is 1.2.8.Now I want to install the Gtk 1.3.2
on my computer.
      I do as follow steps:
      (1) I install the glib-1.3.2 .
          # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
          # make
          # make install
          all seem well
      (2) I want to install the gtk-1.3.2
          # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
          but error occurs, it reports:
          *** GLIB 1.3.1 or better is required.

      I don't know why?according the help message, it tells me to do these things:
          you'll need to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH envionment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point to
the installed
      location.also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that is required on your system.

      I have these questions

      (1) I don't know how to uninstall the old version, I try
          # rpm --erase --nodeps gtk gtk-devel
          but it reports the gtk rpm package has not been installed.
      (2) I don't know how to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH envionment variable
      (3) how to edit /etc/ld.so.conf?
      (4) what's the meaning of ldconfig?
      all in all , how to install gtk1.3.2?
      so many questions, thank you for your generous help!
»¶Ó­Ê¹Óà 21CN µç×ÓÓʼþϵͳ http://www.21cn.com
Thank you for using 21cn.com Email system