Unwanted behavior with menu item accelerators

Hello,

I'm experiencing something rather peculiar under GTK 1.2.8 in Linux.  I
have a pulldown menu in my application.  If I open the menu using the mouse
and position the mouse on one of the items in that menu, I have discovered
that by then entering a keystroke (e.g., ctrl-f), I can automagically
define a keyboard accelerator for that menu item!  This is entirely
unwanted.  How can I turn this behavior off?  It seems to be completely
undocumented.

Thanks,

Sandeep

**** This message is from Arthur D. Little, Inc., and/or one of
Arthur D. Little's subsidiaries or affiliates and may contain
confidential business information. It is intended for the addressee
only and may not be copied without our permission. If you are not
the intended recipient please contact the sender as soon as possible.****