Re: Indicating selected region on pixmap

Keith McDade <kmcdade 454 com> writes:

In that case would I then redraw the drawing area with the pixmap everytime
the rectangle changes and then draw the new rectangle on top of that (say
while the user is dragging a new rectangle)?  While I'm at it do you (or
anyone else of course) have any suggestions for dealing with the mouse
movement event?  I've heard it mentioned in many places that you can
overwhelm a client with events if you use the motion event...  On the same
tack at this time I have a status box which shows the x and y position of
the mouse relative to the image as well as the intensity at that location.
I have this updating based on button up/down events only, for the same
motion event concerns.  Can motion monitoring be done in a reasonable
manner?  If not does this issue more effect the client, server or none of
the above?

The "scribble" example in the tutorial will answer this question.
(GDK_POINTER_MOTION_HINT_MASK)

On another note I've been searching around for the famed GTK+ and GDK
manuals in postscript and have thus far been unsuccessful, any
links?

IIRC the PostScript is over a thousand pages long, so you probably
don't really want it... but to get it you'd basically just grab the
docs in SGML form and run 'db2ps'

Havoc