GtkCombo focus problems

I have some focus problems using GtkCombo's. I'm using GTK1.2.8 on RedHat 6.2.

I have, in a gnome_dialog a group of GtkEntry widgets preceded by two
GtkCombo widgets. The first widget in the tab group is the GtkCombo.

With this I have two problems. The first being, when focus is set to the
first combo (by clicking in the widget) and data is inserted from the
keyboard, focus is then impossible to change to any other widget in the tab
group. I can press ^W which clears the combo text and then get focus in other
widgets such as menus but not any of the other text widgets.

Also, if I use the Tab key to set focus to the next item in the group
(another GtkCombo) it then creates some kind of race condition as focus
quickly changes back and forth between the two combos indefinately as if in
some loop. From that point all I can do is kill the process.

If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
--Scott Gregory