keyboard & basic stuff

Well, I'm lost. I think I need to write an X11 app for the first time.
I have the "X Protocol Reference Manual" and no other documentation.

I'm making something that will resemble an xterm. Instead of operating
on a stream of ASCII and escape codes from a pty, it will operate on
low-level data. I'm displaying something like the content of /dev/vcsa
or text-mode video memory. I need to convert X11-style (?) keystrokes
into PC keyboard scan codes. So an Alt-F7 has to turn into the right
key-down and key-up sequences.

This is to provide a nice console for a slave CPU running Linux.
The odd design lets a viewer disconnect, then reconnect later to
see how the slave CPU has updated the display.

I could handle the font myself, if I knew how to create an image
pixel-by-pixel from RGB values. Color, boldness, and underlining are
all nice to have if the implementation would be easy. I ca live without
menu support and scroll bars.

Examples? Should I be ripping apart DOSEMU for this? Is it even a
good idea to use Gtk, or would Xlib be a better choice?

For now, please Cc me on any replies... how heavy is the traffic on
this list?