how to do pixmap with events in various places

I'm trying to do something similar to when in HTML you have an image
where clicking different spots yields different results.

The way I'm doing this now is by using a background pixmap, then
overlaying fixed-postion event boxes (through the use of a fixed widget)
over top of that.  This of course introduces windows on top of my
pixmap. I'm handling this by (attempting to - code is broken for this
right now) copying the pixmap area under my eventbox onto the eventbox
window.

My question is (and I've seen several questions like mine but few
something like transparent pixmaps in eventboxes be a better solution?
I'm hoping someone who knows way more about gtk than me will offer a
nice solution here...

Thanks

-ripple