networkshit without fucking up the interface?

Hello!
Is it possible to use alot of networkfunctions in a
C/Gtk+/Gnome program without making the interface unusable
when the network-functions are running?
Like, i press a button to read alot of things from a tcp connection but i still want the interafce to be
usable.

I do recall reading that bad code can do this.. make the interace unusable.
Can some one tell me if im right or wrong.. ? :)

Maybe doing some kind of threading will help me?
I have never done threading so i dont realy know what to do :)

Have a nice day!