threads and Sockets

Hello alltogether,
- is it possible that someone kann give me an example how
    make threads with gtk????
- my second problem is, I have an Client-Server-Programm.
    The Server is written in JAVA and the client in C (with gtk)
    What do I have to send on the socket of the client that the
            gdk_input_add      (socket, GDK_INPUT_READ,
                                                        input_callback,
                                                         NULL);
    is aktivated ???

Thankyou for your Informations and sorry for my English ;)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Oliver Bücker

 Forschungszentrum Juelich