pixmaps etc

I am at the moment writing a gimp plug in.  The program needs to display an
image made up of smaller squares (tiles).  The program generates these
squares on the fly.  I am interested in finding out the best way to do this.

At the moment the approach I am using is a table filled with pixmaps.  I
have been unable to get this to work.  I think my problems is that the
pixmap functions uses GdkColor paramater for the background and foreground.
I have been unable to work out what these paramaters are used for.  (I have
made an effort to find this on the web, but gave up after some hours).

Is there a better approach to take than using pixmaps?
If not can someone point me in the direction of some documentation on what
these paramaters do.

Thanks
David Rohde