realizing a widget

I'm a newbie GTK programmer, and I'm writing a new widget.  It is a
composite of GtkLabel and GtkEntry, and it has GtkWidget as its
immediate parent.  I'm working with the Tictactoe example from the
tutorial (composite widget) and the GtkEv example from Havoc
Pennington's book (child of GtkWidget).  My problem is that the label
and entry do not actually show up when I run my program, and I think the
problem is that I am not overriding the realize method.  The
gtk_ev_realize() is pretty involved, and I don't think I need to do
everything in it.  What, exactly, does a realize method need to do?

Thanks!
Davina