Scale Widget Problems

Please help,

I have set up a window with many scale widgets, upon changing the value of
one scale widget, I change the adjustments of the other scale widgets to
reflect new values and upper and lower limits.

There are several issues:

1) Simply issuing "gtk_adjustment_new" does not redraw the scale widget
        neither does "gtk_adjustment_changed", the old values still
        appear in the widgets.

2) When I use "gtk_widget_draw", the new values are drawn, however since
        the upper limit has changed, the value text gets ugly if the new
        upper limit has more digits then the old upper value. Appearantly,
        the text space for the additional digits is not cleared. My guess
        is that the size of the scale widget needs to change to allow for
        the extra digits, but none of the above functions update the size
        of the widget.

3) The only way I could get the text to clear properly when the new upper
        limit is bigger than the old one is to redraw the whole window,
        which takes a long time. Also, the only way I could get the scale
        widgets to resize properly to reflect the new upper limit digits
        is to resize the whole window. Which also takes a long time.

4) I think I need a way to "reserve" space in the value display region of
        the scale widget so that when the upper limit changes, the space
        is properly cleared between new values.

Thanks for your help.

Dave Rector
*:^)