Re: How to get the widget type

        Thanks a lot, I actually did something like:

        if ( strcmp("GtkCList", gtk_type_name(GTK_WIDGET_TYPE( clist ))) == 0 )
           /* Then is a list */
        else
          /* any other stuff */

        Now my only doubt is what about the entry widget (I did
        write an e-mail to the list but nobody has answer me)
        I want to know if the widgets * I got with gtk_entry_new()
        are lost when the fcn they're obtained ends.

        I attached the problem code in the last mail, but the whole
        point is essentially resumed in these points:

        1.- I get memory with g_malloc for a struct containing 2 arrays:
            one for widget pointers and the other for integers (both are
            8 items size).

        2.- Other fcn (which is passed the struct * recently obtained)
            makes the 8 pointers gtk_entries pointers with
            mystruct->arr[0] = gtk_entry_new();
            /* ... some code for the other 7 entries ... */
        3.- Set the callbacks for the entries (e.g., 'mycallback')
        4.- The whole thing is packed into a table and is showed in a
            window.

        5.- The 'mycallback' callback receives the struct of entries
            g_malloc'ed and sends them to another function to see if
            there is a text entered by the user into the entries.

        6.- When the analizer function tries to look into the entries
            the program crashes,  suppossedly because of a segmentation
            fault at the time of the access:

           /* Tryies to get the pointer (of the entry) the first array
              item is pointed to */
            GtkWidget *mywidget = mystruct->arr[0];

         This is what I don't get it...
         I think the memory block I'm trying to access is perfectly
         valid.  I got it from g_malloc, then the pointers are assigned
         from a call to gtk_entry_new(), so... What am I doing wrong???

         Excuse me if the mail is too long but, I have to make this thing
         to work propoerly before next tuesday and I just don't know
         what to do.

         thanks in advance for your support.
         regards.

Si la memoria no me es infiel, eran aproximadamente:
        Las 09 horas con 38 minutos y 25 segundos del 07 de Dec del 2000
Cuando Havoc Pennington osó irrumpir mi descanso para decir:

MC_Vai <estoy ver megared net mx> writes:
    How can I get to know the type of a widget.

    I've been trying with gtk_widget_get_type but this
    returns a non-sense value, because of I am not allowed
    to specify the widget I want to know the type (as an
    argument).

    Thanks in advance for your support.

GTK_OBJECT_TYPE (widget) will work.

gtk_widget_get_type() returns the type code for GtkWidget.

Havoc