Re: [gthumb-list] bugs?

Il 07/08/2016 22:59, Paolo Benvenuto ha scritto:
Hi guy!

I think this two issues regarding cropping should be addressed:

1 - when the crop rectangle touches the photo's right border, it cannot
be resized any more; it must be moved left in order to be able to resize
it. I intend this is a long standing bug

this is the intended behaviour, because it needs to respect the aspect ratio.

I don't understand. I'm speaking of a crop rectangle which the user moves around the image.

The user is able to resize with the rectangle in all positions, except when the crop rectangle right border is at the very right position.

The crop rectangle never oversteps the borders, and resizing always respect aspect ratio if the user has set a fixed aspect ratio

2 - the "invert aspect ratio" check box was working as expected in
previous versions, i.e. the initial rectangle had the photo aspect
ration if the check box wasn't checked. In current releases the
behaviour confuses the user: I don't understand whether the behaviour is
impredictable, or perhaps the rectangle is presented with the aspect
ratio of the last time a photo was cropped. I think previous behaviour
was preferable.

the initial rectangle depend on the aspect ratio you choose, choose the 'image' aspect ratio and you get the same aspect ratio of the image, the last used settings are saved.

I think you didn't understood me. I usually works with 4:3 aspect ratio photos. The aspect ratio drop down list in crop dialog only has 4:3 aspect ratio, it hasn't 3:4 one. I.e., a given aspect ratio doesn't imply a given orientation neither of the image, nor of the crop rectangle.

The behaviour has changed in recent versions, and I think that previously it was more intuitive: the "invert aspect ratio" checkbox gave the user a predictable behaviour, because when the checkbox wasn't checked, the user knew that the crop rectangle had the image orientation.

Now the crop rectangle is presented with the orientation the user had set in previous image cropped. I think this behaviour is confusing: independently of the "invert aspect ratio" checkbox, the user could be presented with a portrait or a landscape crop rectangle.

Thank you for your attention.

don Paolo Benvenuto

- Paolo