Re: [gthumb-list] gthumb 3.4

Never mind, I found the Preferences menu option and have set gThumb to Save Metadata in the images. It then allows for adding or editing various Date/Time values.

A quick test on my part indicates the gThumb does not follow current Metadata Working Group Guidelines in regards to mapping fields from the different standards (EXIF, IPTC, XMP).

      http://www.metadataworkinggroup.org/pdf/mwg_guidance.pdf

In the case of DateTimeOriginal, gThumb does not map this data to the correct fields in IPTC nor in XMP.

Note that there are several DateTime values associated with an image:

Date/time original     - When the photo was taken
Date/time digitized   -  When the photo was scanned or digitally photographed
Date/time modified   -  When the photo was modified
Date/time metadata  -  When the metadata was modified

I am not quite clear how gThumb maps to these different fields. In some cases, there might be additional fields with more info: GPS DateTime, subSec Time, Timezone data, etc.