Re: [gthumb-list] rotation during import process

Actually I'm seeing that importing from the camera shows the image with
wrong orientation, but putting the card in a card reader the importer
shows the correct orientation. What does this mean?

That is normal.

The supporting software used to access the camera (the gphoto backend of gvfs) knows how to ask the cameras to provide a thumbnail, which is much faster than generating a new one. The camera does provide a thumbnail, but the camera doesn't bother to fix the orientation.

When you put the card in a card reader, the supporting software is different - it's just a USB mass storage device. A thumbnail is generated "manually" in this case (I forget which software handles it exactly), and the orientation is handled correctly (but the process is much slower).

Yes, it gets confusing.

- Mike