Re: [gthumb-list] Preserving modification time on image files

Il 23/11/2011 21:23, Greg Mansfield ha scritto:
While using gThumb to add descriptions to a directory of my photos, I
noticed (ls -l) that the modification times did not change after I added
the descriptions. The file length did increase as expected.

A number of backup programs (rdist for example) would not detect that
the file content changed because they use modification time to detect
content changes.

Is this behavior by design?

yes, it's done on purpose, because I keep images ordered by modification time, and when I add a comment I don't want the image to move to the bottom of the list, but this is just my taste...

Should it be changed?

...you are right that if a file is changed its modification time should change as well

Greg Mansfield

- Paolo