[gthumb-list] Need a Script to migrate .comments .xml files to ITPC

I have been using gThumb for many years, and noticed that 1000s of my
old photos have no tags associated with them, despite the fact that I
spent many many many hours adding tags to them. I investigated and see
that there are still .comments directories with .xml files holding the
tags, but gThumb moved on, and somehow my files' tags didn't get
upgraded.

I assume many others were faced with this situation and someone made a
script for this. Googling helped determined that the change was about
a year ago, and that others faced the problem, but I haven't found a
solution.

Does anyone know of a way to convert the tags?
I have been looking for a script that would find the .comments .xml
files and then run some program to apply the tags to the actual .jpg
files.

$ /usr/bin/gthumb -v
gthumb 2.14.0, Copyright © 2001-2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Thank you!

-Schlaegel