Re: [gthumb-list] Selected browser caption fields don't appear unless Comment is opened and closed

Il 30/12/2011 11:15, Chris Green ha scritto:
On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 10:32:25PM +0100, Paolo Bacchilega wrote:
Il 29/12/2011 19:53, Chris Green ha scritto:
In preferences I have selected 'Description', 'Date', 'Name' and 'Title'
to be displayed in the caption in the browser.  However all that appears
is the file name for the image until I click on Comment and then close
the Comment window after which all the selected fields appear in the
caption.

Once I have done this (that is open and close the Comment box) for an
image the caption stays populated.  It's going to take a *long* time to
do this for several thousand images though!  Is there some way I can get
the captions populated automatically?

What exactly happens here is that when you select a file the
embedded metadata is read and saved in an external comment file that
will be used by the file list view to display the description, the
title and the other fields you selected. This is done for
performance reasons because reading the embedded metadata is a slow
task.

So actually you can just select the file to synchronize the
metadata, without the need to open the comment dialog.

When you say "select the file" what do you mean exactly?  If I select
the image in the browser then the caption isn't updated, even if I
'open' (i.e.  display large) the image I don't get the caption.  The
only way I can find to make the caption display appears to be by opening
and closing the comment pop-up.

in version 2.14 if you click on the thumbnail the comment is updated, I don't remember if this is supposed to work with previous versions as well.

Maybe we could add a tool to do this task automatically for all the
files in the current folder.

Yes, that would certainly be useful, make it recurse through the
hierarchy so that one can do this for a whole directory structure if one
wants to.

ok

- Paolo