Re: [gthumb-list] Selected browser caption fields don't appear unless Comment is opened and closed

Il 29/12/2011 19:53, Chris Green ha scritto:
In preferences I have selected 'Description', 'Date', 'Name' and 'Title'
to be displayed in the caption in the browser.  However all that appears
is the file name for the image until I click on Comment and then close
the Comment window after which all the selected fields appear in the
caption.

Once I have done this (that is open and close the Comment box) for an
image the caption stays populated.  It's going to take a *long* time to
do this for several thousand images though!  Is there some way I can get
the captions populated automatically?

What exactly happens here is that when you select a file the embedded metadata is read and saved in an external comment file that will be used by the file list view to display the description, the title and the other fields you selected. This is done for performance reasons because reading the embedded metadata is a slow task.

So actually you can just select the file to synchronize the metadata, without the need to open the comment dialog.

Maybe we could add a tool to do this task automatically for all the files in the current folder.

- Paolo