Re: [gthumb-list] Can I 'root' gthumb away from my home directory?

Il 24/12/2011 12:06, Chris Green ha scritto:
On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 04:40:45PM -0500, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
On 12/23/2011 04:31 PM, Chris Green wrote:
I have just started using gthumb (because it's the default on xubuntu
11.10) and I'm quite taken with it.

I have a question/need though, is there any way I can tell it to 'start'
as it were at a directory that's not my home directory?  I simply want
it to view the tree from $HOME/pictures downwards and not be distracted
by the rest of what's in my home directory.

Yes.

Edit>  Preferences>  General>  On Startup

Not *quite* what I wanted.  Setting "On Startup" to $HOME/pictures
doesn't hide anything else.  What I want is to see *only* what's under
$HOME/pictures.

It appears that gthumb uses the same list of top level directories that
the default file manager uses (thunar in my case).  As I very rarely use
the GUI file manager it may be that I can change thunar's defaults and,
as a result, change gthumb as well.

No, on checking, gthumb *doesn't* show the same set of 'root'
directories that thunar shows.  Thunar just shows 'chris' (which is
$HOME) and Desktop and File Syste.  Gthumb on the other hand shows
'chris', 'Home Folder' (which doesn't work), 'File System', 'CD/DVD
Drive ...' and 'Catalogues'.

What I'd like is either to hide all of those directories and just show
the pictures directory or (second best but acceptable) have pictures as
one of the top level diretories.

What is 'Home Folder' supposed to show?  On my system at the moment when
I try and open it all I get is 'Loading...' and nothing more happens.
If I could change it so that it was the pictures folder I'd have just
about what I want.

gThumb already has this feature. It's likely that on your system the XDG special directories are not set correctly, to do this you have to execute the xdg-user-dirs-update utility from the command line.

- Paolo