Re: [gthumb-list] gvfs-based photo importer

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
I have committed my first attempt at modifying the photo importer to use gvfs with the libgphoto2 backend.

I forgot to mention 2 things:

1) The gvfs-gphoto backend is supposed to provide access to image previews through G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_PREVIEW_ICON, though it doesn't seem to work on my Fedora 10 system. Perhaps I need a later version of something, but I also suspect that we are not extracting the pixbuf from the gicon correctly anyway. I would appreciate it if someone could test/examine src/dlg-photo-importer.c:gfile_get_preview in trunk.

Since the G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_PREVIEW_ICON fails, we are mostly using gdk_pixbuf ops to generate a scaled preview, which is slow of course.

2) It became clear in coding the importer that we really, really, need to move file operations to gfile. Using FileData->utf8_path usually works for normal file operations, but something wonky happens when dealing with the gphoto backend - the parse name (utf8_path) doesn't seem to work for accessing files on the backend. Using gfiles directly avoids this problem. So I've added gfile to the FileData structure, which had been the plan anyway. The importer makes heavy use of this approach.

- Mike